The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) is the Government approved inspectorate responsible for the inspection of Association independent schools. Schools in the Associations are ranked among the best in the world and educate more than half a million children in 1,200 schools. We see inspections as a valuable experience, as they seek to improve the quality and effectiveness of schools’ education and care.
Inspections are usually carried out with only 1 or 2 days’ notice. The inspection teams are led by professional reporting inspectors with many years’ experience, who are supported by team inspectors such as heads and senior teachers currently working in independent schools.
Full Integrated Inspection – March 2015
In March 2015 the Independent Schools Inspectorate spent a week visiting Normanhurst to inspect our provision, and we were delighted to be judged as ‘Excellent’ and/or ‘Outstanding’ in nine out of eleven categories. Some quotes particularly worth noting are as follows:
- The school is extremely successful in fulfilling its aim to build a happy, family environment that cultivates courtesy, respect and responsibility.
- The school provides an excellent curriculum which is adapted extremely well to the needs and aptitudes of the pupils.
- There are excellent standards of behaviour at all levels within the school.
- Excellent relationships between staff and pupils contribute significantly to the quality of the teaching.
- Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is excellent.
- Staff provide excellent pastoral care. Teachers know their pupils extremely well and provide excellent support and advice.
- The school has a highly favourable ratio of staff to pupils, with access to a good range of educational resources.
- The quality of leadership and management is excellent.
- The EYFS is outstanding at meeting the needs of the range of children who attend.
- The overall quality and standards of the early years provision are outstanding.
Regulatory Compliance Inspection – March 2018
In March 2018 the Independent Schools Inspectorate spent several days visiting Normanhurst to inspect our compliance with the Independent School Standards Regulations. There are more than 450 regulations with which the school must comply, divided between 8 main categories, and the inspectors look at all of them.
With Regulatory Compliance inspections, each main category is graded as either ‘met’ or ‘not met’. Each of the individual regulations in each category must comply to receive an overall ‘met’ for that area. We are delighted to report that we were fully compliant and that every one of the 450 or so regulations was met. No further action is required as a result of this inspection.