Normanhurst uses some of the borough’s finest sporting facilities, including the Peter May Centre for indoor and outdoor activities, the Chingford Leisure Centre for swimming, The Chingford Tennis Centre at Rolls Park and the indoor and outdoor track and field facilities at Lee Valley Athletics Centre which is also used by UK Athletics to train Olympic athletes.
The PE programme is designed to promote physical activity and incorporate the thinking involved in making decisions, selecting, refining judging and adapting movement. Through our programme pupils are encouraged to develop physical competence in a broad range of activities as well as personal qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm.
All pupils are expected to participate in the regular inter-house competitions. The school teams are selected on ability and compete within the borough and ISA. Clubs and after school activities are open to all.
In Years 3 to 6 pupils continue to develop a broader range of skills and learn how to use them in a variety of different ways. Through sport they enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing against each other whilst understanding how to evaluate and improve their own success.
Key achievements include:
- Throwing and catching in isolation and combination.
- Participation in team games.
- Application of basic principles of attacking and defending.
- Development of flexibility.
- Strength technique control and balance.
- Taking part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and as a team.
- Comparing performance and demonstrating improvement to achieve personal best.
- Swimming confidently using a range of strokes effectively.
- Short Tennis
- Tag Rugby
- Cross Country
- Gymnastics/ Dance
- Outdoor adventure activities.
Pupils are assessed at the end of each unit of work, the results of which are recorded and progress tracked throughout each Key Stage. Stamina and fitness are monitored by means of the multi-stage fitness test designed by Loughborough University.